Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Salamanca hemos de ir...

Last weekend the boys and I took a rapid-fire trip to Salamanca.  I knew that trying to cram years' worth of experiences into 48 hours would be a planning challenge, so I let go of all expectations and allowed the trip to simply happen.  Prior to committing to living in Madrid, I agonized over our destination choice.  Although I greatly appreciated the simple fact that we were fortunate enough to have choices, it wasn't until I decided to take the path that showed itself to us that I was able to let go of the stress surrounding the decision. I do have confidence that Madrid is the right choice for us, even if some moments during this recent trip to Salamanca I wondered. Seeing my wonderful friends, the city's beautiful architecture, the quaint apartment where we would have lived - smack in the heart of the city in a stone building from the 18th century, filled with hand-wrought iron and stories of generations that have come before me - I questioned my decision again.  Lately I have been trying to follow my instincts more (see my recent submission to Mamalode on that topic here: http://www.mamalode.com/blog/2011/12/23/because-of/ ,) and this was a true test.  But Madrid has an instinctual pull that doesn't pen out on paper, and I find comfort in the constancy of that feeling. Choosing a beloved place from my past would have made sense, and as much as I love Salamanca, my friends and my life there, a new experience beckons.  So I will return to savor, but with no looking back. 
 Our dear friends' apartment building in Salamanca, kindly offered and declined.
This building has been in her family since 1808.




As soon as I was able to let go of the Salamanca -V- Madrid war that was in my head, I was reminded of how lucky I was to have known this beautiful city and her people.  We were greeted at the train station by a posse of friends, who planned a simple weekend for us, full of amazing food and quality time with each other.   Hand ball, meals together, trips to the park - in Spain everything is of the highest quality, from the food to the company to the time together. Their society is arranged for families and friends to spend time together, not separate activities for specific age groups.  The local bars and homes are packed full of families eating together, watching the kids play. Three generations are always mingling in every activity, and kids actually know how to interact with children of other age groups.  Teenagers spend time with adults. Adults spend time with children. Time together is what people do. It is lovely and inclusive and cohesive and I leave thinking about ways I can incorporate this into my daily life and culture in the States. 


We watched an exciting game of balón mano.

Their new friend Roberto.


Chillin' in the park.

Photo courtesy of Maria Marcos









Someone was a little worn out...


Hugo by the Iglesia San Marcos in Salamanca.




Because we were there for such a short period of time, we did not have a chance to see all of our friends and look forward to returning soon. Legend has it that if you can spot the frog on the facade of a certain University of Salamanca building, you will continue to return to Salamanca. I can locate that rana in an instant.

No looking back.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I miss Salamanca too! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support. You were greatly missed.

      Delete
  2. I thought the legend was that you would get A's in all your classes. jaja. oh well. :D Enjoying your blog. (from mamalode) I have Spain (especially Madrid) deeply, and I mean *deeply*, embedded into my soul. Seeing your pics and hearing your stories makes me wistful. And... uh... "fruta" madre... Excellent! ;)

    ReplyDelete