Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pa' que sepas...

I love how much smaller and more familiar the world has become since the Internet became mainstream. I SO appreciate this tool that allows me to share my experiences and stay in touch with interested friends and loved ones back in the US. If you are someone who has momentarily tripped into this blog, however, I think a little background may be helpful.

I came to Spain for the first time in 1994 on a university exchange program. We spent 3 months traveling throughout Spain but studying in Salamanca, a beautiful city rich in culture and history. Many of the buildings and streets are carved from a local, golden sandstone which radiates warmth and sun, and advocates the beauty found in the merger of human artistry with nature, and the passing of time itself. Although I lived with a warm, kind and considerate family, I admit that I was more than thrilled to return home to my husband at the end of the semester. As much as I appreciated Spain's incredible history, amazing food and beautiful architecture, I knew few people outside of my host family, and Spain did not yet speak to my heart.


Back at university in the States I met José from Madrid, and we hit it off from the start. To think of or be with him and his family makes me smile, as their laughter, love for Life and appreciation of Her simple things are contagious from thousands of miles away. Shortly after meeting, our lovely friend Victoria came from Salamanca, and it was through these families that the fairy-tale gift of Spain 1997 was given.

Victoria is gracious, intelligent, modest, caring and generous, traits shared with her mother, Marianela. Fresh out of college, I was looking for the experience of another exchange program, and my husband Jason and I were offered lodging in a rustic house on their working ranch. The idea was that we might live free of rent in exchange for any projects they might have that would fit Jason’s wide skill set; we should have known that their generosity would not permit an even exchange. That story is magical and for another time; I will at least profess that it profoundly changed my life for the better. The gratitude that erupts from this year in Salamanca has set in motion the beginning of many experiences and events that have enriched our lives in powerful, positive ways. I truly fell in love with Spain and her people (so cliché, I know, but so true!) and left with a new appreciation for our world and my role in it.

(I find it absolutely appropriate here to plug with admitted bias the school I attended during the above year. If you wish to go for a short or extended study-abroad, private program, Hispano Continental cannot be beat. They are simply FANTASTIC. Kind, fun, professional and dedicated, my level of Spanish will attest to their capabilities. Hispano Continental)

We have since managed to make regular connections to Spain and our friends there in some way, attempting to pay forward some of the generosity that has been shown to us. Spaniards are loyal, passionate, loving, generous and kind in general and we have yearned for our children to experience this first-hand, as we have. Although we are only a week in, I absolutely love that they have already seen how amazing our friends are, how beautiful and inspiring this culture is. If I can somehow convey here a sliver of our experiences, along with what I appreciate, what makes me return and what makes me dream of Spain, I will have been successful with this blog.


4 comments:

  1. You've got pictures of Valencia here too, ooooh "saudadeeees"!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I miss you so much! I have tears in my eyes...that photo of Atticus on the rock, Hugo's round baby face all squished smiles. Makes me well right up! Squeeze those boys for me.

    Man, thanks for sharing in this space. I am so appreciative for YOU.

    much love on this chilly, hopeful Thursday morning,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH! I love and miss you all so much! When can we Skype?!

      Delete
  3. Hi! Caroline! Terrific reading! I think of you all the time, you and the boys! Jason said you sent a photo of Atticua and Hugo in one of their school uniforms. I missed it....Look forward to the next post..

    ReplyDelete